Wondering how to calculate the cost to build a house? We’ve got you covered.
In recent years, we have seen increasing interest from our homeowners to understand the costs that they must consider when building a new home so that they can be better prepared to move forward with ease during the design and construction phase. We often get asked, “How do you calculate price per square foot for construction?”, “Is it really expensive to build a house?”, “How do I estimate the cost of building a new home?”
In the end, the answer is simple - your project will have a unique cost depending on your current and future needs. You have the ability to dictate the size of your kitchen, garage, living areas, and so much more. The possibilities are endless. This blog post will help you lay out things to remember when calculating and preparing for the cost to build a house.
If you want to have the most accurate picture of “how much does it cost to build a house”, it is best to schedule your complimentary “Let’s Talk” session so we can learn more about you and your vision for your custom home.
Not sure what questions to ask when building a home in Annapolis & Baltimore Metros?
BUILDING COST PER SQUARE FOOT
Why it doesn't necessarily mean what you think
- Estimation methods aren't always consistent
- It leaves out critical expenses
- It doesn't factor in regional differences
CUSTOM HOME COST BREAKDOWN
The cost is unique to you and your needs
Custom homes are often one-of-a-kind, upscale homes that feature the industry’s best products and materials, latest technologies, top-notch craftsmanship, and unique design elements. Building a custom home means you have total control over the design of your home. You’ll have the freedom to incorporate architectural styles you love, and features that fit your lifestyle— like an art studio or gourmet kitchen— or incorporate the latest design trends.
This breakdown generally applies to many single-family homes constructed using conventional methods, but other factors such as unique features of the land or home can really affect these figures. For instance, if you live on a steep hill, you might spend more on grading and foundation just to have a solid base to work on.
Want a more in-depth look at the cost percentage breakdown of everything that's involved in building a custom home? Download our free ebook.
- Plumbing & electrical: These comprise a majority of the costs of a new custom home.
- Special features: These may include some potentially necessary additions and amenities that can increase the comfort and functionality of your home.
- Interior wall & ceiling finish: The prices of these will depend on the size of home/ number of rooms, as well as on the variety of material you select for the walls and ceilings to be constructed of.
- Wall framing & exterior finish: Finishing prices depend on the amount and type of siding, trim, doors and windows.
- Roof: The cost of the roof depends on the size of the building as well as the material used to complete the roof.
- Kitchen & bath detail: This cost varies widely depending on the type and quality of the materials used, the size of these spaces, and any specialty features you might choose to include.
- Foundation: Foundation costs are comprised of preparing & excavating, concrete pouring and backfilling. Some homes may even require the additional costs associated with sealing, draining, humidifying and insulating.
- Floor structure & finish: Endurance, noise insulation, comfort and cleaning effort come into play, with— again— the quality and type of material chosen for construction determining much of the cost.
- Interior detail: These details are the features that add to the value, comfort, and design interest of your home.
The best way to manage the cost of your custom home is to hire your builder before, or along with, your architectural designer. Only a builder who is very familiar with construction costs can guide you through the many decisions. Having a knowledgeable counselor through those conversations will help you understand the cost consequences of your choices, and we are here to help!
How do we get started?
You’re already off to a great start by doing the homework that landed you here. The easiest and most convenient next step is to download our free ebook and contact us to schedule an Idea Session with our team of design experts. We are looking forward to talking with you about your hopes, plans, priorities, and vision for your custom home build.
How Much Does It Cost To Build A Custom Home?
A common question we get is, "How much does it cost to build a house?" In this guide, we provide an in-depth cost breakdown, identify the top 5 factors that influence overall custom home cost, and compare luxury standards, finishes and materials - everything you need to know in one guide!